Wednesday, August 19, 2009

World Peace: Muppet Diplomacy Vs. Weed Diplomacy

In July I met Victor Antonio from San Antonio, who is on a mission of world peace by walking the country and promoting the legalization of marijauna and the abolishment of currency among other things. Some of his philosophy makes a lot of sense, but I'm not sure the world at large is ready for him. Then again he claims that part of his strategy involves people doughting his success He spreads his message to the young and the fringes of society. He records his journeys at: http://havethisbook.com/



Forgive my memory, I have forgotten the name of this documentary, but about a year ago I saw a documentary about 'Sesame Street' being developed for countries around the world, catering to local cultural needs. I was reminded of thiswhen I recently came across the following article regarding 'Muppet Diplomacy' - http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/08/13/generation.islam.gaza.muppets/index.html



Ultimately, I think the Muppets will have greater success than Victor, Because children will carry what they see on Sesame Street their entire lives, but the opinions people make as young adults change as they age and mature. Victor is very intelligent and charming in person, but I think his message lacks the broader generational appeal that the muppets can inspire. Big Bird is forever in our hearts and minds from the time we first meet him. Victor is very intelligent and charming in person.

1 comment:

  1. Sesame Street is part of our culture. I think nearly everyone in America watched Sesame Street as a child. I enjoyed it even as I got older because they always kept it entertaining, not just educational. It was also nice to see the people on the show "grow older" with us.

    ReplyDelete